Thursday, May 24, 2012

Geocaching in France & finding the WWII Memorial

I love to geocache.  Understatement.  I always try to do it in a new place - especially in a new country.  My dear husband goes along - I think mostly to make sure I am safe.  Well here I really don't want to stick my hands in places I don't know and the muggle count is incredibly high so I went for multis and Earthcaches - ones that take you to different places and not so much about finding the specific box.
I did one at the Obelisque on Concorde Plaza - an Earthcache.  Reading inscriptions, counting marks in the granite.  I also did one call the Heart of Paris and it took us to six different places on Ile de la Cite.  This is the island in the center of the Seine where Notre Dame is located.  By doing this we found a lovely triangle park surrounded by homes and a Memorial to the Jews and others who were deported from France during WWII.  No guide books showed us this memorial - it was quite moving.

An older gentleman sitting by the memorial.  I wondered...


The final box was above a roof of a small bistro and graffiti on the wall said GPS!  How cool.  Candy

No comments:

Post a Comment